Burkina Faso president quits – level 3
On Sunday, Burkina Faso president Paul-Henri Damiba conditionally resigned after last week’s coup. Last weekend, violent protests and clashes happened in the capital city Ouagadougou.
Self-declared military leader Captain Ibrahim Traoré agreed to seven stipulations from Damiba. They included to guarantee Damiba safety and security to the soldiers who supproted him.
Traoré said that Islamic violence in the country was worsening, and the country was facing an emergency in every industry, from security to health to infrastructure. He asked cabinet ministers to tackle the urgent problems faster, and some people feared his words suggested the country will get help from Russia.
According to a close family member, Damiba left the country on Sunday. The coup was the second military coup this year, after Damiba ousted former president Rock Caboret in January; it was the ninth coup since independence from France in 1960.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.