Burkina Faso’s first Olympic medal – level 1
Hugues Fabrice Zango is 28 years old. He is from Burkina Faso. It is a country in West Africa. The country is very poor.
Zango wins the first-ever Olympic medal for Burkina Faso. Zango wins the medal in the men’s triple jump. His jump is 17.47 meters long. It is 35 centimeters shorter than Zango’s African record.
Zango’s family watch him jump from their home. His mother is very nervous. She cannot watch the jump. Now they are very happy.
Zango wins on the 13th day of the Olympics. This day is very special for Burkina Faso. It is Independence Day.
Difficult words: triple jump (an event in athletics when an athlete makes three jumps), record (the best result in a sport or activity), independence (when a country is free from another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos