Burkina Faso’s first Olympic medal – level 2
Hugues Fabrice Zango won Burkina Faso’s first-ever Olympic medal.
The 28-year-old Zango won bronze in the men’s triple jump with his leap of 17.47 meters. His first two jumps were not very good, but the third one brought a great victory. Zango’s jump was only 35 centimeters shorter than his African outdoor record.
Zango’s family watched him from their sofa at home. His mother could not watch because she was too nervous. They were all proud of Zango when he won. It was even more special because Zango won on the day of the 61st anniversary of Burkina Faso’s independence.
Difficult words: leap (a long jump), victory (when somebody wins), independence (when a country is free from the control of another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos