Burkina Faso’s first Olympic medal – level 3
Hugues Fabrice Zango won Burkina Faso’s first-ever Olympic medal, as he claimed bronze in the men’s triple jump on the 13th day of the Tokyo Olympics.
The 28-year-old’s leap of 17.47 meters was 35 centimeters short of his African outdoor record that he set earlier this year. It was enough to claim third place just ahead of two-time Olympic silver-medalist Will Claye of the USA. Zango said that he was sad because he wasn’t able to produce his best performance; however, he believed that his country would get more medals in the next Olympics in Paris.
For Zango’s family, it was a tense viewing experience, as his first two jumps were disappointing. His mother was too nervous to watch; however, Zango eventually won, and his mother said that she couldn’t be prouder. The victory was made even more special, as it fell on the 61st anniversary of Burkina Faso’s Independence Day.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.