Burkini in France – level 2
Burkini is a newly created word from the words “burka” and “bikini.” It is a swimsuit that covers a woman’s body. Only her face, hands and feet are not covered.
In 2009, people banned a woman from a public pool in Paris for wearing a burkini. Now, many French resorts are banning it completely. Some people say that this is an infringement of rights, and that they would not care if somebody besides them wore it. Others, like the French Prime Minister, want to ban the burkini altogether.
Many critics say that the ban could provoke Islamic terrorists.
Difficult words: ban (make something illegal), resort (a place popular with tourists), infringement (limiting something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos