Business with oxygen – level 3
Delhi police seized 419 black market oxygen concentrators.
Four people were arrested in New Delhi, India, for putting on the black market oxygen concentrators at exorbitant prices through online portals. Due to the scarcity of oxygen concentrators in the market during the pandemic, they started hoarding the life-saving equipment and they sold them at a high price. The four men hid the equipment in a restaurant and a bar at Central Market in Lodhi Colony. A distributor was removing the red paint of fire extinguishing cylinders, and he was converting them into oxygen cylinders by painting them black.
This news came as India reported more than 414,000 new COVID-19 cases and nearly 4,000 deaths. However, experts said that figures were likely underplayed. Models suggest that the outbreak could peak in the coming days.
Difficult words: exorbitant (unreasonably high), scarcity (a shortage), hoard (to keep a lot of something), underplay (to make something seem less important or dangerous than it really is).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos