Butterflies are Disappearing – level 1
Monarch butterflies are important. They move pollen from flowers to other flowers. Pollen is the yellow dust you can see in flowers. This makes flowers and plants grow.
However, there are fewer monarch butterflies now. An organisation counts butterflies in California. People do this in the winter. They find that there are 86% less butterflies in 2018.
Around the world, there are less butterflies, too. Scientists think that two problems hurt them. The problems are habitat loss and pesticides. People need to fix these problems. They need to do more conservation. Then, people can help the butterflies.
Difficult words: habitat loss (when an animal or plant loses its natural home), pesticide (a thing that people put on plants to kill insects), conservation (protecting animals or plants).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos