Butterfly pupae at San Diego Zoo – level 2
The US Fish and Wildlife officials confiscated 130 butterfly pupae. Workers at the San Diego Zoo, which is a zoo in California, took care of them. They carefully unpacked the pupae to see if they were OK.
Then, they hung the pupae up. At a later point, the butterflies will move out of the pupae on their own.
This type of butterfly is known as the Birdwings. It is unusually big and it flies like a bird. It is from India and Southeast Asia.
Difficult words: official (somebody in a position of authority), confiscate (to take something officially), pupa (an insect before it becomes an adult, when a special cover protects it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like butterflies?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos