Butterfly pupae at San Diego Zoo – level 3
Animal care staff at San Diego Zoo Safari Park have gently unpacked 130 butterfly pupae. They were confiscated by US Fish and Wildlife officials from a shipment sent to the United States on Thursday.
“A hundred and thirty specimens, our staff unpacked them, examined every one of them to see what condition they were in.”
The pupae living butterfly cocoons are an endangered species.
Known by their common name Birdwing, their cocoons were gently unpacked and examined by the zoo staff.
“Stick it like that!”
“They’re now being hung up which means we pin them by their cremaster, as it would be in the wild, and at that point, the butterfly will emerge on its own.”
Birdwings are named for their exceptional size, angular wings and bird-like flight. They’re native to India and Southeast Asia.
Difficult words: pupa (an insect before it becomes an adult, when a special cover protects it), confiscate (to take something officially), specimen (one animal), cocoon (an insect’s cover), endangered species (an animal kind which may die out soon), cremaster (the hook-like tip of a pupa), emerge (to come out), angular (having sharp corners).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos