Buy a village in England – level 1
In England, a family owns a village. They own it for 150 years. In 2010, the last member of the family dies. Now other people can buy the village. It costs 20 million pounds.
In the village, there are 43 houses and cottages, a pub, a petrol station and a mansion house with 21 bedrooms.
People rent all of the houses in this village. They hope that the rent will not go up.
Difficult words: own (to have), cottage (a small house in the country), mansion house (the large house of a landowner – a person who has a lot of land).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.