Cable car crash – level 3
14 people died and two were seriously injured in an Italian cable car crash on Sunday.
According to local officials and rescuers, the cable car linking Italy’s Lake Maggiore with a nearby mountain in the Alps plunged 20 meters to the ground, and it rolled several times down the steep slopes before it was stopped by trees.
Apparently, when the gondola neared the end of its 20-minute journey, a cable snapped, and an emergency brake failed. The cable car carried tourists and local people from the resort town of Stresa almost 1,400 meters above sea level to the top of Mottarone Mountain. The victims included foreign nationals and two children were transported by helicopter to a hospital in the nearby city of Turin.
The Stresa-Mottarone lift had only recently reopened; however, maintenance and checks had happened regularly, and the cables weren’t due to be replaced until 2029.
Difficult words: gondola (a small cabin for passengers), snap (to break suddenly with a sharp cracking sound), national (a citizen of a particular country).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos