California and Alabama emergencies – level 1
Heavy rainstorms hit California in December 2022. Since that time, the US state fights with floods and mudslides. In some places, three floods happen in ten days. The situation is very bad.
Thousands of people must leave their homes. Floods destroy roads and power lines. Some people are without electricity. Authorities close roads.
The US president declares a state of emergency. The action lets the government control the situation. People can get help from the government. The help is very important.
An emergency is also in Alabama. Several tornadoes hit the state on Thursday. Nine people die.
Difficult words: mudslide (when mud, stones, and other things fall down a hill or mountain), power line (a cable which gets electricity to buildings), declare (to say something officially and openly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.