California and Alabama emergencies – level 2
Since the end of December, California fought with rainstorms. The storms brought floods and mudslides, and in some areas, three floods happened in ten days.
The floods destroyed infrastructure, and authorities closed some roads. Thousands of people were without power, or they had to leave their homes.
The US president declared an emergency in California, which will provide financial help to the people who need it the most.
Since Sunday, a state of emergency is also in Alabama where at least five tornadoes hit the state, and nine people died.
Difficult words: infrastructure (roads, bridges, electricity network, and so on), declare (to say something officially or openly), provide (to give).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos