California Highway Collapses – level 2
A winter storm in California, US, brought heavy rain and snow. As a result, a part of a highway collapsed into the ocean on Friday.
California officials explained how it happened. There was a lot of rainwater and the drainage pipes could not take all the water away. The water flowed onto the highway and it damaged the road. Luckily, there were no cars on the road when it happened and nobody got hurt.
Winter storms caused an emergency in two California counties, and thousands of people had to leave homes. Officials were not surprised when the accident happened. The road is on the edge of a hill and it brings some risks. Hills can slide and rocks can fall. People cannot do anything about it because nature is strong.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.