California Highway Collapses – level 3
A section of iconic Highway 1 in California, US, collapsed into the ocean on Friday. It was washed out by a winter storm that brought heavy rain and snow.
According to officials, a debris flow overwhelmed drainage infrastructure from the hillside above the highway. It then flowed across the highway and eroded the road, which resulted in a complete loss of a part of the highway. The accident happened about 24 kilometers south of Big Sur, a mountainous stretch of California´s Central Coast.
The California Department of Transportation declared a state of emergency in two counties in a response to winter storms that threatened to cause mud and debris flows, forcing the evacuation of thousands of residents. According to the department, the highway is prone to rock fall and slides, and it is the nature of a road that is built on the edge of a continent where forces of the hillside and the oceans are always at play.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.