California storms – level 2
Unusual winter storms brought snow and freezing temperatures to California, United States.
In higher elevations, authorities closed roads and told residents not to travel anywhere. On Sunday, the wind reached 80 kilometers per hour in the Sacramento Valley and up to 110 kilometers per hour in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. In the flatlands, heavy rains and hail caused floods, which closed many roads around Los Angeles.
Almost 85,000 households and businesses are without power, and many roads are closed. Authorities warned that extreme weather would last for at least until Wednesday.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What caused this unusual winter storm?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.