California’s Worst Fires Ever – level 1
In November, there are wildfires in California. They are deadly. Just one of the fires kills 86 people. That is the most people ever. It destroys 19,000 buildings. That is the most buildings ever.
Many people are insured. They want their money. The insurance claims are the highest ever. People are asking for $11.4 billion.
There is a big electric company in California. People think that it may be responsible for the fires in 2017 and 2018.
This is because the weather and electrical wires together can start fires. The company has to pay a lot of money. Then it files for bankruptcy.
Difficult words: insure (pay a company some money every month or year; if the people’s house burns down, the company gives the people money for their destroyed house), be responsible (cause something to happen and say that you did it), file for bankruptcy (when a company says that it has no money and cannot do business).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.