Canada heatwave – level 2
A heatwave hit western parts of Canada and the US, and it broke Canada´s temperature record three times last week.
In some parts of central British Columbia, temperatures reached almost 50 degrees Celsius. Officials asked people to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water. 233 people died in British Columbia in the last four days, which was 100 more than usual. Schools closed and the heat burned the crops in the prairies where farmers grew wheat and canola.
The wave of hot air went from California, US, to the Arctic. Experts said that extreme weather would be more common in the future, but it was not possible to say if Canada´s heatwave was the result of global warming.
Difficult words: prairie (a large area of grassland in North America), canola (a plant with yellow flowers which people use to make oil and feed animals), global warming (the increase in the earth´s air and ocean temperatures).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.