Canada Shooting – level 2
A man, who looked like a police officer, killed 18 people in Nova Scotia, Canada. It was the worst shooting in Canadian history.
The gunman was a 51-year-old man, and he also made his car look like a police car. The man started his shooting in a small town about 60 miles north of Halifax. He killed several people in one house, which police believe was the first scene. Later, the man killed other people, and he set several houses on fire. Police think that after the first shooting, the man started to kill without a plan.
Police asked people in the area to lock their homes and stay inside. They later shot the gunman. Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, told the media that he plans to make stricter gun laws.
Difficult words: gunman (a man who uses a gun to do a crime), shooting (an event when someone shoots something or someone), scene (a place where some action happens), intend (to have a plan to do something), stricter (more strong, more harsh).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos