Canberra Fires – level 2
Authorities in Australia’s capital city, Canberra, declared a state of emergency. 8% of the Canberra territory is on fire.
There are very strong fires that are dangerous to people and their homes. Fire service officials warned that strong winds and high temperatures can cause more fires in the Canberra territory.
A Canberra official said that it is not possible to know how big the fires can be. He also said that it could be very difficult to control them. People must be careful and wait for a possible evacuation.
This is the first state of emergency in the Canberra territory since 2003 when the fires killed four people.
Difficult words: declare (to announce officially), territory (a part of a country with local government), evacuation (when people move to a safe place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos