Capital of Indonesia – level 3
Jakarta, which is home to more than 10 million people, is Indonesia’s capital on the island of Java. However, Indonesia’s planning minister recently said that President Joko Widodo has decided to relocate the capital to a new city outside of Java.
The future capital is yet to be formally picked, but the city of Palangkaraya on the island of Borneo is a frontrunner.
The main reason for the big move is Jakarta’s overpopulation. It is one of the most congested places in the world. The planning minister estimated that the city’s traffic jams cost the economy more than $7 billion a year. Also, Jakarta is one of the fastest-sinking cities in the world – one half of the city lays below sea level.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.