Car and a Tank Hit – level 3
An 18-year-old German driver of a hatchback Toyota had a lucky escape after a crash with a 62-tonne tank. She ended up unharmed after part of her car was crushed.
People say that the learner driver pulled out in front of a convoy of British military vehicles, apparently trying to make a left turn but ignored the tank’s right of way. The 24-year-old British soldier at the controls of the Challenger 2 tank was unable to stop his vehicle in time, but he did manage to turn it so that it crushed the engine of the car and not the driver.
The tank driver was cleared of any blame and people say that the damage on the hatchback is estimated at around 8,000 pounds (1,000 US dollars). As one could expect, the tank was unscathed.
Difficult words: hatchback (a car with a door across the full width at the back end), convoy (a group of vehicles travelling together), apparently (according to the way things look), right of way (right to drive into a road before other vehicles), unscathed (not damaged).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you always follow right of way when you drive?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.