Car falls into a sinkhole – level 3
Nearly, nearly! There it goes!
Two men were lucky to escape injury, as their car was swallowed by a sinkhole in east China’s Fujian province this week.
As seen in this street surveillance footage, the white car stops in the middle of the road, as its front wheel runs into the gargantuan pothole.
The driver and the passenger very wisely got out of the vehicle. A few minutes later, the road surface collapsed further and readily accepted the sedan, as it tumbled into the void.
The sinkhole, apparently caused by the collapse of sands beneath the road surface, opened up just half an hour before the incident, as a heavy truck passed over the affected roadway.
The road has now been blocked for repairs, which are expected to take a few days.
Difficult words: swallow (take in and cause to disappear), surveillance footage (security camera video), gargantuan (very big), pothole (space in a road surface), readily (easily), tumble (fall suddenly), void (an empty space).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.