Car park is a farm – level 3
Former chef Noah Verin has transformed a car park into a farm in the heart of Sydney’s central business district. He has around 40 different species of herbs and microgreens to grow under lights and ventilation fans.
Verin has an environmental science degree, and he started his business Urban Green in early 2020. His goal is for the company to be carbon neutral by 2026, and his approach includes energy use, growing medium, packaging, and deliveries. Since its start, the company has already increased its energy efficiency by 50% when it replaced 36-watt lights by 18-watt lights. For the plant medium, the company uses a renewable byproduct of the coconut industry. Currently, Urban Green is in the process of transitioning from plastic pots to degradable materials.
Verin’s clients appreciate many aspects of his business. The main reason is that the food’s local and fresher because it comes in the pots, so it doesn’t degrade during transportation.
Difficult words: microgreen (a very small, young leaf of lettuce, beetroot, radish, and so on), medium (the substance in which an organism lives), byproduct (something that comes from the manufacture of another product).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos