Cardboard Boat – level 3
Did you know that it is possible to build a boat entirely from cardboard? Over ten days, two savvy recyclers from England named Harry and Charlie turned their dream of a cardboard houseboat into a reality.
They used around 300 old boxes that they found in bins near their workshop and bits of wood to clamp on a little outboard – almost everything was from waste packaging, including their flag which they made from bubble wrap.
They successfully launched the boat into the Thames and sailed down the river to London to launch a design festival.
Difficult words: savvy (knowledgeable, skilled), clamp on (fix on, put on), outboard (an outboard motor).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos