Carving pumpkins underwater – level 1
Halloween is coming. Two divers carve pumpkins underwater. It is a competition. The faster person wins.
These people are a couple. The boy wins. He carves his pumpkin in 1 minute and 57 seconds.
He says that it is not easy. You must move slowly underwater. There are also a lot of fish around.
Difficult words: carve (to cut something to make it look nice), competition (situation when you try to be better than other people), couple (girlfriend and boyfriend).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you carve pumpkins on Halloween?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.