Cat café – level 3
At the Gato Café in downtown Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, coffee and tea are served with whiskers and a purr.
Cat cafés were first popularized in Asia where they originated in Taiwan in 1998. Giovanna Molinaro, the founder of Gato Café, was inspired to create the café after a trip to Japan in 2018. However, Gato Café doesn’t offer just cat company, it also is an adoption site for abandoned cats rescued by an organization called ’Bunker Whiskers’. Customers purchase lattes dusted with cat silhouettes and accompanied by paw-shaped biscuits while cats lounge lazily in an adjacent room.
In 2019, there were over 78 million pet cats and dogs in Brazil. As owners passed away and families were thrown into disarray during the coronavirus pandemic, many animals were abandoned or left to look after themselves.
Difficult words: whiskers (long protecting hairs that grow near the mouth of a cat, mouse, or other mammal), purr (a quiet, continuous sound of a cat that the animal makes when pleased), silhouette (the dark shape or outline of something against a light background), disarray (a state of disorganization or mess).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos