Cat Festival in Tokyo – level 3
The annual ghostly cat festival happened in Tokyo. Locals painted their faces, wore masks, or just popped on some cat ears to parade through an area famed for its love of cats.
Japanese designer Okameya Yuko organised the festival and said that she wanted to celebrate Halloween, autumn and cats all in one parade.
It seems that it was a hit, with one participant saying that it was amazing and impressive because people put a lot of work into their cosplays.
Japan is a country that loves cats – it introduced cat cafés and Hello Kitty to the world. There’s even enough love for stray cats in Tokyo, which are a common sight. A person could say that Japan is a pretty pawsome place.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), ghostly (mysterious, magical), cosplay (the word for “costume” from the Japanese language), stray (homeless), pawsome (this is a mix of two words: “paw” and “awesome”).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos