Cat is sold with a house – level 3
Would you give up your beloved family pet in order to get a better deal when selling your home?
Well, an Australian family managed to sell their house for an extra $140,000 by throwing their cat into the deal, too.
Michael and Fran Perceval’s home was auctioned at the weekend but failed to sell.
However, following the auction, a bid was received for $2.2 million dollars, insisting Tiffany the cat came with the house.
“We jokingly said that all the people coming through were loving her, we said to the agent ‘well, she goes with the house, ha ha ha,’ not expecting at all to actually have a clause written into the contract saying that includes the cat.”
The extra money clinched the deal and the five bedroom house was sold.
Reports say that the Percevals describe themselves as animal lovers, but we’re not entirely sure how Tiffany the cat feels about that now.
Difficult words: beloved (cared and loved), bid (an offer of a price at an auction), insist (to want something and to fight for it), clause (rule), clinch (settle).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.