Cathedral Works – level 2
Notre-Dame is a gothic cathedral in Paris, France, and people consider it one of the symbols of the city and the French nation.
In April 2019, the roof of Notre-Dame caught fire and it was burning for about 15 hours. The fire broke out when workers were restoring the cathedral. Hundreds of firefighters tried to stop the fire, but the damage was very serious. 200 tons of roof scaffolding melted in the building.
Last week, officials announced that workers had removed all the scaffolding. It was a risky operation because the workers worried that the cathedral could fall down. Luckily, it did not happen and reconstruction can begin in 2021. The French government hopes that the works will finish in spring 2024.
Difficult words: restore (to repair a building to make it look like it did in the past), scaffolding (a metal structure that workers build on the outside of a building and they use it while they are building or repairing the building), melt (to become liquid because of heat)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos