Cats Island of Japan – level 2
Cat lovers, this news is for you! There is a tiny island in southern Japan where there are more cats than humans.
Around 120 cats live and run over the island which people nicknamed “Cats Island.” Tourists from around Japan come to the island, even though there are no shops or hotels.
People brought the cats to the island originally to deal with mice, but the cats multiplied because they had no natural predators on the island.
Tourists and some locals feed the cats, but a lot of them have to look for their own food.
Difficult words: tiny (very small), nickname (to give something a nickname – a humorous name), multiply (to have babies).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a cat lover?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos