Chanel No. 5 – level 2
In 1921, French-Russian chemist and perfumer Ernest Beaux made the formula of Chanel No. 5. It was the first perfume by French fashion designer Gabrielle ´Coco´ Chanel.
This year, the perfume is celebrating its 100th anniversary, and it changed very little since 1921. It is still one of the most popular and iconic perfumes. but it was not always like that.
In the 1980s, the future of Chanel did not look good. In the 17th century, a part of France became a place where farmers grew flowers which some companies used for perfumes. In the 1980s, some farmers sold their land, and other countries grew the flowers. Jasmine was the most important ingredient in Chanel No. 5, and Chanel worried that it would not have enough jasmine for its perfumes.
The company made a deal with the Mul family, and the growing of jasmine could continue. The family still grows enough jasmine for Chanel, and it is the best quality.
Difficult words: formula (a list of things which are put together in a perfume, medicine, and so on), iconic (something very popular what many people know), ingredient (one part of more things which people put together to make a dish, recipe, or something else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.