Change in YouTube – level 2
YouTube tries to recommend to you videos which it thinks that you are interested in. Nobody chooses these videos for you, as software does this.
YouTube is now changing the software to recommend fewer conspiracy theory videos. YouTube says that this change will affect less than 1 per cent of videos. However, users around the world watch around 1 billion hours of YouTube videos a day.
YouTube says that it is doing this to give people a better experience. What type of conspiracy videos will not be recommended? For example, videos which try to sell you fake medicine, videos which say that the earth is flat, or videos which say lies about events like 9/11 (the attacks on the World Trade Centre on September 11th 2011).
Some people may not like this. For example, they may think that the earth is not flat, but they think that videos about 9/11 can be true. They see YouTube’s move as an act of censorship.
Difficult words: recommend (suggest, offer), conspiracy theory (an idea that people use to explain events which are different from explanations that most people believe; or explanations about things which are not possibly true), censorship (censoring – limiting what people can watch, write, read, or say).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
We write news in three different levels of English. We want to help you understand English more. Now all students can enjoy reading and listening.
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.