Chaos in UK Parliament – level 3
Earlier this month, Prime Minister Boris Johnson suspended the British parliament, insisting that the five-week suspension was necessary to get ready for a new parliamentary session.
However, the justices decided that the suspension was unlawful and that Johnson broke the law because his suspension left lawmakers unable to act, especially when the deadline of Brexit is on October 31st. On Wednesday September 25th, Johnson arrived back in the UK, cutting his trip to the United Nations General Assembly short. The British parliament is back in business.
Critics are calling upon Johnson to resign from his post, but he is currently refusing to do this.
Difficult words: suspend (stop), insist (strongly say), justice (a judge of the Supreme Court of a country), be back in business (start something again).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos