Charbonnay wine – level 2
Winemakers in northern France are making a new type of wine. The wine is called Charbonnay, which is a joke on the words chardonnay and charbon. Chardonnay is a famous wine grape, and charbon is the French word for coal.
Winemakers grow grapes on spoil tips. These things are piles of material which people leave after they work in a coal mine. Northern France is a cold area, but thanks to climate change, it is getting warmer and is suitable for growing grapes.
In 2018, winemakers sold the first bottles of Charbonnay, mostly to local people and small shops. The wine popularity is quickly growing, and it could triple from 2021.
Difficult words: mine (to get metals and materials from the earth), suitable (right or correct), triple (to become three times as much or as many).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos