Cheetahs return to India – level 3
After 70 years, eight radio-collared African cheetahs stepped onto the grassland of Kuno National Park in central India; the big cats disappeared from the wild here.
The animals made an 8,000-kilometer journey from Namibia, and the journey was the first for wild cheetahs to move across continents.
The cheetahs will run through 5,000 square kilometers of forest and grassland, and they’ll share the landscape with other animals. Next month, 12 more cheetahs from South Africa are expected to join them.
The high-profile project drew criticism from scientists and conservationists, who say the vanity project ignores the fact the African cheetah isn’t native to the Indian subcontinent. Some people also worry that the animals won’t have enough space to roam, and predators or people will eventually kill them.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.