Chemicals on the bottom of the sea – level 3
Scientists say they have found what they believe to be 25,000 barrels possibly containing DDT which was dumped off the Southern California coast.
They were very surprised when they found these barrels. They mapped more than 36,000 acres of seafloor in a region previously found to contain high levels of DDT in the sediments and in the ecosystem.
The area has long been suspected to be the site of an underwater toxic waste dump dating back to the Second World War.
Difficult words: DDT (a chemical for killing insects), dump off (to throw away), acre (4050 square meters), sediment (the solid material that settles at the bottom of the sea), suspect (to think that something is probably true).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.