Child kills in Nigeria – level 3
Fifteen people died here, including the 10 year-old suicide bomber. Nigerian police say the girl tore through a crowded market, detonating the bomb in Damaturu in northeastern Nigeria.
No one has claimed responsibility for the explosion which is the latest in a series of attacks bearing the hallmarks of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram.
Undetonated explosives were also recovered at the scene of the blast. A police spokesman said they recovered 5 units of explosives, adding that the suicide bombers are changing their tactics of using bags to convey their devices so they can’t be easily suspected or detected.
The explosion in the centre of the Yobe state capital came six days after another suicide bomber killed three policemen at a checkpoint on the outskirts of the city. And earlier this month, at least nine people were killed in the city by a female suicide bomber as worshipers gathered to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid.
Difficult words: tear (to move very quickly), detonate (to make something explode), hallmark (an idea, method, or quality which is typical), blast (an explosion), tactic (a method), suspect (to think that something bad can happen), detect (to find), gather (to come together).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.