Children cost a lot of money – level 3
Raising children in the United States has become increasingly expensive, with the cost of living rising while wages remain stagnant.
A recent report has revealed the variations in child-rearing costs across different metro areas. By comparing the living costs of a household with one child to that of a childless household, the study found that the average annual cost to raise a child is approximately 20,813 dollars; however, it can go as high as 35,000 dollars, depending on the location. Childcare expenses make up nearly 50% of the annual cost, averaging around 9,000 dollars per year but reaching over 22,000 in certain areas.
The top five most affordable metro areas include Morristown and Sumter, while the least affordable areas are concentrated in California and Massachusetts.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact does location have on the cost of raising children in the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.