Children cross the US-Mexico border – level 1
A special fence is on the border between the US and Mexico. The fence is four meters high. Border patrol watches the fence. Many people want to get over the fence.
Some people cannot get to the US. US authorities do not allow them. These people send their children to the US alone. It is a big problem for the US. Hundreds of children and teenagers come every day. The US does not have enough flats or apartments or houses for them.
Two people drop two children over the fence last week. The border patrol shows a video about what happens. A person drops one child. Then, he drops the second child. Both persons run away.
The border patrol finds the children. They are sisters. They come from Ecuador. One girl is a toddler and one girl is five years old.
Difficult words: border (the line between countries), border patrol (people who watch a country´s border, and they keep it safe), allow (to let someone have or do something), toddler (a child who is about one to three years old).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.