Children cross the US-Mexico border – level 3
A video released by US authorities last week showed two Ecuadoran children being abandoned by smugglers after they were dropped over a 4-meter-high barrier along the US-Mexico border.
The video showed a person lowering the children one at a time before letting them drop to the ground below. Both children stood up as two people fled on the other side of the border. US Border Patrol agents found a toddler and her 5-year-old sister, and they were transported to a nearby patrol station for medical evaluation.
The incident came in time when President Biden’s administration struggles with finding space to house several hundred children and teenagers who are crossing the border daily. In some cases, their parents were refused entry into the US, and they send their children across the border alone, hoping that they will eventually be placed with relatives.
Difficult words: abandoned (left without protection or care), smuggler (someone who takes goods or people into or out from a country illegally), flee (to run away from a place or situation of danger).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.