Children in Parliament – level 1
Teachers in Congo start to strike. The strike starts on October 4. Children are angry. Children want to learn. The teachers do not teach.
Teachers want extra money for their hard work. They are not happy with the retirement age. Retirement is when someone leaves his job because he is old or ill.
Angry children go to Congo’s government. They speak to an official.
The official says that teachers make the children do this. The official says that children must be in school and learn. He says teachers know that the children are angry. He says they believe that it is a good way to get what they want.
Difficult words: strike (to stop work because you want more money or another change at work), extra (more than is usual), age (how old someone is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos