Children stay in the jungle for 40 days – level 2
Four children from an Indigenous community miraculously survived a plane crash in the Amazon jungle.
Their mother, the pilot, and another adult died in the accident. The children, aged 13, 9, 4, and 1, spent 40 days in the dangerous rainforest. The rescue operation involved soldiers, volunteers, and search dogs. Rescuers dropped food from helicopters to help the children survive. Finally, on Friday, they found children alive, though malnourished and covered in insect bites. The children probably managed to stay alive thanks to what they learned from their grandmother.
The president of Colombia praised their resilience and called it a joy for the country.
Difficult words: miraculously (in a way which is very surprising or difficult to believe), malnourished (when someone is weak and sick because he hasn’t got enough good food), resilience (when someone can manage a very difficult situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What techniques did the rescuers use to locate and help the children?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.