Children’s race in Ecuador – level 2
A decade-old tradition took place in a city in Ecuador. It was a children’s race. The kids put on helmets and protective pads and got into home-made wooden carts. People then pushed them down the city’s steep hill.
The carts reached speeds of up to 62 miles per hour (100 kilometres per hour). Fifty children between the ages of 6 and 16 took part in this dangerous event. Luckily, nobody was injured.
Difficult words: decade (a period of ten years), pad (a thick piece of soft material), cart (an open vehicle).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you take part in the race if you were a child?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.