Children’s race in Ecuador – level 3
Well, this looks like a super-sensible idea – get a bunch of children in teams together on a load of rickety wooden carts and then shove them down a steep hill at high speed. Yep, I thought that might happen!
This wooden cart race is a decade-old tradition for the city of Quito in Ecuador with youngsters aged between 6 and 16 competing in home-made vehicles that can reach speeds of up to 62 miles per hour (100 kilometres per hour). Again, super-sensible…
While the kids don their protective gear, helmets and pads, the dads put the finishing touches to the cart. After all, it’s their glory days that they’re probably reliving here…
This year’s event saw more than 50 children vying for the trophies and prize money, and fortunately, no injuries were reported despite how dangerous the entire thing looks.
Does looks awesome though!
Difficult words: sensible (responsible; practical), rickety (poorly made), shove (push), don (put om), glory days (a time in the past which according to somebody was better than the present), vying (fighting).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.