Chile wildfires – level 2
Hundreds of wildfires are burning in Chile, and they already destroyed many homes and thousands of acres of forest.
Last week, the Chilean government declared a state of emergency in several regions, and other regions may join soon. At least 23 people died already, including three rescuers, and hundreds were hurt. More than 1,100 people had to leave their homes to seek shelter. The fires also affected traffic on highways.
Authorities said that it was very difficult to get the fires under control because of strong winds and high temperatures. They expected the conditions to continue with temperatures above 38 degrees Celsius.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that the Chilean government was able to respond quickly enough to the fires? Why or why not?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.