Chile’s lithium industry – level 2
Chile’s President, Gabriel Boric, announced plans to nationalize the country’s lithium industry.
Chile is the world’s second-largest producer of this important metal which is used in electric vehicle batteries. Chile wants to enhance its economy and protect its environment. SQM and Albemarle, the two big companies in the lithium industry, will transfer control of their lithium operations to a state company. This decision is a new challenge for electric vehicle manufacturers who are looking for battery materials because more countries want to protect their natural resources.
The global lithium market is having problems with a shortage of raw materials. Mexico nationalized its lithium deposits in 2022, and Indonesia banned nickel ore exports in 2020. Mexico, Argentina, and Bolivia are forming a lithium association to share their knowledge on processing this mineral.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact will the nationalization of Chile's lithium industry have on the global lithium market?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.