Chile’s new president – level 3
Gabriel Boric is Chile’s youngest president in history, and the most left in half a century.
Boric defeated his far-right rival José Antonio Kast by 10 points. Both candidates offered very different visions for the country, and both represented political parties that had never been in government. The 36-year old socialist and former student leader aspires to be one of the world’s greenest leaders. He’s in the vanguard of Latin American awareness of climate change and its inequalities, such as access to clean water, destruction of the rainforest, indigenous rights, or mining benefit.
Boric faces huge challenges, such as a divided government, severe economic slowdowns, and mistrust over his relationship with the communist party. However, he’s a millennial who fits the outlook of many people of his generation.
Difficult words: aspire (to want something very much or hope to achieve something), vanguard (a group of people who lead the development of new ideas), millennial (a person who reached young adulthood in the early 21st century).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos