China and Soybeans – level 2
The US changed its tariffs for Chinese goods set for October 1st. In response, China is removing some American goods from its punitive tariffs, such as pork and soybeans. These changes are calming people in the trade war between the US and China.
The choice to remove soybeans from tariffs is important because they are a US cash crop. A US government agency says that soybeans are half of the main crops in the US. They also bring in about 30% of the money for crops in the US.
Difficult words: tariff (the money you must pay to the government on imports and exports), punitive (harsh, difficult), cash crop (something which a farmer or an organization sells that makes a lot of money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.