China-Australia Trade War – level 2
In 2018, Australia decided that the Chinese company Huawei would not provide equipment for the 5G network. Australia said that the reason was national security.
This year, Australia said that it was necessary to investigate where the coronavirus came from. This made China very angry. Last month, Huawei announced that it would not give money to an Australian rugby team. Also, China stopped the imports of some Australian products, for example, meat and wine.
China is trying to push Australia to make the 5G deal. But there is one thing that China is careful about. The country must not stop supplies of iron because Chinese industry depends on it.
Difficult words: national security (keeping a country safe), investigate (to find out the truth), import (to buy things from another country), supply (a large amount of materials, things, or services that people need).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos